[TRNSYS-users] Size pump mass flow in theoretical flat plate solar collector circuit

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Tue Aug 18 11:05:46 PDT 2020

<I am simulating a large scale solar collector field. Now Im about to
size the pump in the solar circuit. What is the correct approach? The
inputs in the theoretical model does not consider pressure drops for
example. Lets say if I have 500 collectors, can I assume that everyone
is in parallell and multiply 500 with a nominal collector flow to get
the pump size? Is that reasonable?>

Erik - you would size the pump in TRNSYS like you would size it for a
real world project. You would need to calculate the pressure drop
through the circuit at the flow rate you would like to maintain then
find a pump that delivers the performance that you want. Then simply
take the pump information you need into TRNSYS; max flow rate, power at
rated conditions, efficiency etc.

That's the best approach. But since TRNSYS doesn't consider the pressure
impacts, you can set whatever flow rate, efficiency, power that you want
- even if it's not all that reasonable...

Are you allowing the pump to run at variable speed or only constant
speed?

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
3 N. Pinckney Street, Suite 202, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com

On 08/16/2020 11:42 am, Erik Eriksson via TRNSYS-users wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am simulating a large scale solar collector field. Now Im about to size the pump in the solar circuit. What is the correct approach? The inputs in the theoretical model does not consider pressure drops for example. Lets say if I have 500 collectors, can I assume that everyone is in parallell and multiply 500 with a nominal collector flow to get the pump size? Is that reasonable?
>
> Best regards Erik

Links:
------
[1]