[TRNSYS-users] Thermal VS PV domestic water heating

Anas Majdouli majdouli_anas at hotmail.fr
Sun Aug 16 22:25:22 PDT 2015

Hi TRNsys community,

I am currently comparing two cases for water heating.

The first case is using solar themal collector combined to a water tank with immersed HX. A back up heater is placed above in case the set point temperature is not reached.

The second case is using PV panel to power an electric heating element. As in the first case, a back up heater is placed above.

The efficiency of the solar thermal collector is 0.73, while PV efficiency is 0.15.

>From literature survey, PV area should be around 4* STC area. With  , Qaux (back up energy consumption) is higher. It should be the contrary. Can you please have a look at my worksheets and help me to find from which parameter setting(s) is wrong. Please find the worksheets and Type 99 data (Type-99 -1 year-6min) attached to this mail. Please replace, for both worsheets, type 99's file by the one attached before running the simulations.

Thank you in advance,
Anas MAJDOULI