[Trace-users] Automatic external shading?

Marcus jones.0bj3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 04:47:02 PDT 2014

Searched the archive but couldn't find an answer to this one:

What is the best strategy for modeling dynamic external window shading? We
have an office building design in Europe with large south window exposure,
and dynamic shading is a key part of reducing their cooling loads. In
reality we have external horizontal blinds controlled on a solar irradiance
value.

So far my best effort is the internal shading with a schedule, where
schedule has a reset control based on outdoor DB being higher than cooling
set point.

This is not giving realistic results, I think the heat is being dissipated
into the interior space from these interior blinds.

Any successful modeling strategies to recommend?

Thanks,
Marcus
--
Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C