[Trace-users] FW: Including internal loads in space heating energy summary

Tom Ferrel Tom at mail.ra-solutions.com
Mon Jun 23 11:35:11 PDT 2014

Heating design in the library schedules I am using (*-Midrise Bldg) ignores internal loads for heating design purposes.  I am performing a LEED energy performance analysis, and I want to be sure I am including the internal loads in the space heating calculations.  The assurances I got from the Trace help was not overwhelming, and the space heating requirements of the model seem intuitively too high.
As a check, I created my own custom schedules for people, lighting, and process loads, with a heating design schedule which matched the cooling design schedule.  The results showed increased receptacle and lighting loads (people loads were not listed in the report) as if the program were somehow double accounting for the two schedules.  The space cooling energy use increased, as would be expected if the loads were counted twice.  Surprisingly, the space heating energy use also increased.  This has me concerned.
Does someone out there have knowledge about how Trace handles internal heat loads when calculating space heating energy use?
-Tom