[Trace-users] Intricate shading devices.

Duncan S. McClellan dmcclellan at ClarkNexsen.com
Tue Dec 18 11:49:59 PST 2012

You may have to do a separate hand calculation to determine an adjusted SHGC value. ASHRAE Fundamentals 2009 chapter15 has some information regarding IAC correction values, etc. but I don't they cover what I see indicated below.

A rough estimate could be made as follows;

1)    Estimate the average % of glass shaded during the year.  This may require some geometry work regarding azimuths, solstices, etc.

2)    Assign the shaded percentage of glass SHGC=0

3)    Calculate a weighted average SHGC:

[(Area Glass Shaded * 0) + (Area Glass Unshaded * SHGC)] / Total Glass Area

Somebody please let me know if I am mistaken.  Thanks.

Duncan McClellan PE, BEMP, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer

CLARK NEXSEN
Architecture & Engineering