[Trace-users] Variable Shading Coefficient

Phil_Grossman at URSCorp.com Phil_Grossman at URSCorp.com
Mon Jun 27 11:29:23 PDT 2011

I have a 230,000 square feet, 400 room office building currently modeled
in Trane Trace.  Fifty percent of the building’s exterior envelope is
windows. The solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) for the windows is
currently modeled as a constant.  The goal is to use this model for LEED
V3.0, EA Credit 1 - Optimize Energy Usage.

The actual windows installed in the building are sunlight responsive
thermochromic (SRT).  With SRT windows their SHGC changes as the intensity
of incident solar radiation changes.   The SHGC is at minimum when the
sun’s intensity is greatest.  When the window’s temperature is  77 ° F the
SHGC is 0.29 at 149 ° F the SHGC is 0.18.  More information about this
product is available at www.pleotint.com.
It is my understanding that eQUEST  V3.55 can model variable tint windows
based on total incident solar radiation, transmitted solar radiation or
outdoor temperature.  Since the building is already modeled in Trace
totally changing to eQUEST is considered impractical.
I would like to know your experience and/or thoughts on how this building
can be modeled with the SRT windows, preferably in Trace or possibly some
combination of Trace and eQUEST.  The model needs to be accurate,
acceptable to the LEED reviewer, and consume as little of my time as
possible.

Phil Grossman, PE, LEED®AP, HFDP
Senior Mechanical Engineer

3950 Sparks Drive SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Tel:  616.574.8500
Website   |   Map

Direct:  616.574.8451
Fax:  616.574.8542
Email:  Phil_Grossman at URSCorp.com

This e-mail and any attachments contain URS Corporation confidential
information that may be proprietary or privileged. If you receive this
message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
the e-mail and any attachments or copies.