[Ibpsausa] Groundwater temperature estimating

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Jan 6 12:11:44 PST 2016

Here's an older but more compact version of the Kusuda algorithm written in Fortran 77,
just 20 lines of code but you have to give it the following information:

DIFF = soil diffusivity
DBTMIN = minimum average monthly air temperature
DBTMAX = maximum average monthly air temperature
DBTYAV -= average annual air temperature

The output is TG, the average monthly ground temperature.

I stripped this from the DOE-2.1E program, and gave it to the EnergyPlus Team back in 2002
(?) for use in their weather processing program.  Although the subroutine is structured to
produce average monthly ground temperatures, I suggest that you code it to do daily or at
least weekly calculations (but using a "running" month, i.e., calculate DBTMIN and DBTMAX
from -15 to +15 days around the day) to avoid the monthly staircase of temperatures using
the algorithm at the monthly timestep.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.