[Ibpsausa] Fwd: Re: [Bldg-sim] DOE Job Task Analysis for Energy Modelers: Open for public comment until Nov. 28th

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Thu Nov 17 12:32:07 PST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Bldg-sim] [Ibpsausa] DOE Job Task Analysis
for Energy Modelers: Open for public comment until Nov. 28th
Date: 	Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:17:21 -0700
From: 	Doug Hittle <hittle at colostate.edu>
To: 	Roth, Amir <Amir.Roth at ee.doe.gov>
CC: 	Building Simulation <bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org>,
"ibpsausa at lists.onebuilding.org"
<ibpsausa at lists.onebuilding.org>

I would like to be grandfathered in please. Who is
scrutinizing this document (proposed regulation?) at ASHRAE
headquarters? Have you had any input from ASHRAE?

If you were to do a jta for President of the United States
it might not be so lengthy as the one for building energy
modelers. (And, a lot of folks in the current primary would
be automatically excluded). Is it possible that we have the
cart before the horse? Perhaps we need a jta for building
architects and building design engineers of which energy
modelers could be a subset.  I am sure that if DOE proposed
a regulatory test procedure for architects and engineers
there would be plenty of comment.

I've looked at the document. What caught my attentions was
the list of "skills and abilities." These included such
thing as "time management skills," "critical thinking," and
"spatial skills."  Assuming that the goal is to define
/*measurable*/ skills, we might want to give energy modeler
want-a-be s the SAT again.

Then I saw "common sense" and "patience" as skills and
abilities. Now, not withstanding the jta, I consider myself
a competent modeler of buildings and their energy systems.
We don't need to vote on that but I also am reasonably sure
that "patience" has only recently kicked in as a personal
skill (maybe I am being optimistic). How are we going to
measure the "common sense" of someone who wants to apply to
be an energy modeler?

Dr. Roth, it is not clear that very many in the building
sciences field are aware of your project, its history, and
potential impact. Perhaps you could get on the agenda at an
upcoming ASHRAE meeting and explain the process and your
intent for the project outcomes.

Respectfully,
Doug Hittle

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Roth, Amir