[Hap-users] Modeling Dome Roof in HAP

Matt Scott via Hap-users hap-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Aug 12 05:36:34 PDT 2016

The closest approximation within the limits of HAP would probably be to

Consider these three options:

1)     Just make it a flat roof and make the area equal to that of the surface area of the actual dome roof.

2)     Model it like a 4-sided pyramid with 45 degree slopes facing North, East, South, and West respectively.  Divide the surface area of the dome evenly between the four triangular exposures.

3)     Brake the space in two or more sub-spaces so you have more than 4 roof exposures to work with.  Then model the dome roof as a combination of 45 degree sloped sections for each 45 degree increments (or less) of the compass along with a flat roof section and some vertical walls to approximate the curved surface with polygons.

I’d be inclined to use option 2 myself.  It will account for the sun’s path and how it shines on different parts of the dome throughout the day.

Matt