[Equest-users] Baseline chiller unusual part load COP

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Wed Mar 24 18:54:18 PDT 2021

Yes – you should develop curve fit parameters for your specific chillers, with the appropriate reset conditions, etc. eQUEST includes a curve-building function if you enter the performance data there.

Also see what the weighted average of the COP is against load, maybe it isn’t as far off as it seems at first with a few outliers, or it may be way off if the majority of hours are at part-load.

The idea that you should use a consistent set of curves is true though, using the default curves based on some historical piece of equipment vs the curves from a modern chiller today may not be consistent, it would be best if your chiller vendor can provide some data for a code-minimum unit to make curves for the baseline based on the baseline capacity, etc.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., BEMP, BEAP, HBDP, GGA
Associate

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Mobile: (773) 490-5038

Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers

grummanbutkus.com<http://grummanbutkus.com/> | Blog<http://grummanbutkus.com/blog> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/GrummanButkus-Associates/1385285015032526> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/grummanbutkus>