[Equest-users] Difference between "Building -Loads" and "Building -HAVC"

Brian Fountain Brian.Fountain at sa-footprint.com
Wed Mar 11 05:04:33 PDT 2020

This is a great question that has puzzled me in the past.

The difference between the hourly reports BUILDING-LOADS and BUILDING-HVAC is the same as the difference between the heating and cooling reported in the LS- reports (LS-C for peak and LS-F for total) and the heating and cooling reported in SS-D.

LS- reports and BUILDING-LOADS are determined after the LOADS module is run.  SS- reports and BUILDING-HVAC are determined after the SYSTEM/PLANT module is run.

You are correct that the biggest difference is generally caused by ventilation.  There are a number of other factors that move the SYSTEMS heating and cooling energy.

Reheat –  reheat is not accounted for in LOADS but comes into play in SYSTEMS.  With a VAV system and a low supply air temperature you will see an increase in heating energy between your LOADS and SYSTEMS reports even without ventilation.
Humidity control – while LOADS reports latent loads, SYSTEMS reports the system response including reduced supply air temperature and reheat.
Thermostat setpoints – SYSTEMS uses the zone thermostats whereas in LOADS the space temperature estimate is used to determine loads  for all hours.  This can have a significant impact on unconditioned spaces where the default SPACE temperature is 70F for LOADS but may vary considerably from this in the SYSTEMS module.

Mohamed provided a much more comprehensive list of the differences between the LOADS and SYSTEM runs – I am very curious about the source of that list?

Footprint

Brian Fountain
Associate
d 416 572 8501 m 416 562 6831