[Equest-users] DD Wizard Question

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at se.com
Tue Jun 9 07:15:24 PDT 2020

Hi John!

If your goal is to limit yourself to wizard-level inputs only, then yeah you might need to bump up zonal exhaust fan power to net the right amount of energy being used to move air into/out of the building… but I would typically counter with “why not leverage detailed mode inputs?”

The exact right approach to arriving at the correct fan power quantities for supply/exhaust airstreams depends on the real-world situation you are trying to emulate.  I’ve found success (if through a little hair pulling) emulating constant-volume exhaust systems and lab-VAV conversions for large research facilities with lots of exhaust hoods… so the capability is in your hands to do some relatively complex/dynamic exhaust energy math.

But… again if you stick to only wizard inputs, I think punching in zonal exhaust > ventilation will simply result in the OA-delivering airside system to provide for the greatest need, which will in turn mean more OA introduced at that airside system.  If that unit is already 100% OA then in kind it will need to furnish more CFM than specified, and you should see its fan power rise accordingly.  If it was specified to deliver less than 100% OA, then you may not see a net fan end-use energy increase as it’ll simply adjust the OA ratio in kind.

~Nick

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D63E3E.7F655490]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer