[Equest-users] DOAS and Fan Coils

Matthew S. Garlick msg at tbcxinc.com
Thu Jan 16 16:41:08 PST 2020

Howdy,

I'm trying to simulate a four pipe fan coil system with a DOAS ERV providing outdoor air in DOE 2.3 and getting some errors I haven't been able to figure out, I'm hoping someone here knows the answer!

The fan coil system runs by itself, connected to a campus CHW and steam loop, though I get the following error in my sim file:

***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Heat-Exchanger: L1West Perim Zn (G.W1)           UA calculation
             failed to converge.

This seems to be a random zone and switches every time I run it. Besides defining OA flow at the zone, there are no other custom inputs at this time on the zone. When I add the DOAS (without the ERV) to the "OA From" field in the fan coil system, I get an aborted simulation and the following errors:

***NOTE************************************************************************
             Convergence issues in Design-Day mode 14
             Hours Slow: 3209;  Hours Failed:    0

***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Heat-Exchanger: HENE Perim Zn (M.ENE16)          UA calculation
             failed to converge.

***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Heat-Exchanger: HSouth Perim Zn (Mb.S22)         UA calculation
             failed to converge.

***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Fatal HVAC simulation errors.

Adding the ERV to the DOAS gets me a new set of errors:

***NOTE************************************************************************
             Convergence issues in Design-Day mode 14
             Hours Slow: 3384;  Hours Failed: 1834

***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Heat-Exchanger: HNorth Perim Zn (M.N17)          UA calculation
             failed to converge.

**WARNING**********************************************************************
             PredictX parabolic solution failed.  Please
             send this input and weather file to program developers      3015
***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Heat-Exchanger: HEast Perim Zn (T.E39)           UA calculation
             failed to converge.

***ERROR***********************************************************************
             Fatal HVAC simulation errors.

Same notes and warnings as before but it adds the PredictX warning around 50 times (I edited the above).

I tried stepping back to DOE 2.2 but of course you can't define a DOAS in that engine and in 2.2 and 2.3 I'm unable to put an ERV on a fan coil system type.

So then, can anyone shine a light on what's going on?

[TBCx]

Matt Garlick, CxA, CEM, BEMP
Building Efficiency Engineer | TBCx

E-mail: msg at tbcxinc.com<mailto:msg at tbcxinc.com>