[Equest-users] Air-source and ground-source heat pump modelling

Inga Goebel igoebel at duluthmn.gov
Mon Nov 4 12:17:56 PST 2019

Hello,

I am trying to model an air-source heat pump in eQuest in order to redesign the HVAC system in a 1980s commercial building. Currently there are three natural gas fired boilers who provide the heat throughout the building and no air conditioning present. Air conditioning is to be added and the system to be made more energy efficient. I am looking at an air source heat pump from Mitsubishi (City Multi model) and would like to model it in eQuest to see how this changes the energy consumption of the building. I am struggling with how to model it in eQuest though.  It is an outdoor VRF heat pump with a heat recovery system.  As a backup heating system I would like to keep the boilers. Any suggestions on how I could implement that the best?

Also, as an alternative I would like to compare it to a ground source heat pump. No specific model chosen yet, just curious to see how it performs compared to the air source heat pump. Any ideas on how to model this as well?

Thanks,

Inga