[Equest-users] Radiant slab cooling in Equest

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at se.com
Tue May 28 14:13:12 PDT 2019

The advent of explicit DOAS system modeling with the most recent eQuest build presents some new opportunities that we didn’t have previously for handling radiant slab systems.  To add to your assertions around fan coil fan energies, ventilation loads and fans were still something to consider and account for – now we can handle those explicitly as a separate system!

The key thing to continue considering in modeling radiant heating/cooling slabs/beams in eQuest is the fundamentals around a doe2 zone being assumed as fully/perfectly mixed at all times, whereas radiant systems by their nature need to consider buoyancy effects and loads in relation to comfort zones (in elevation), relative to the total zone volume.  This is a gap to bridge in consideration of how to structure your model so that the assumptions of design regarding loads incident on the system are in alignment.  A tool in your belt here is that you can reduce the conditioned volume of your zones by playing with the geometric height.  Alternatively/additionally, you have inputs available to rigorously specify/adjust the fraction of internal loads incident on the conditioned volume.

I think autosizing the airside system cooling capacity and airflow rates remains generally acceptable practice, but you should probably minimally make time to check and reign in the hydronic cooling capacity observed at the associated plant chiller(s). If the goals of the model extend to/include accurately assessing comfort criteria, I might however make a point to further assess and limit cooling capacity in each zone based upon the radiant slab/beam design criteria.

In all this though, folks simulating radiant systems today can be thankful they don’t have to “layer in” a DOAS approximation on top of the usual shenanigans!

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D51569.7127C9C0]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer