[Equest-users] NECB 2015 Question

Benjamin Zizi bzizi at ecohabitation.com
Thu Mar 14 07:47:24 PDT 2019

Good morning,

That would be my interpretation too. It differs if it is more or less than
the maximum permitted and should be adjusted for the reference as maximum
permitted.This approach is different than with ASHRAE 90.1 and gives a
significant advantage to projects with less windows than usual (which is a
good thing). Same approach is taken with Energuide ratings : HOT2000
software adjust the ratio of reference building as soon as the proposed
building is outside the minimum and maximum ranges : 17% - 22%.

This interpretation would also be confirmed by the LEED V4 Canadian ACP (
https://www.cagbc.org/cagbcdocs/leed/LEED_v4_Canadian_ACP_Language_as_of_20170420.pdf)
that states that projects can use the NECB reference at some conditions,
including :

*Apply fenestration area convention similar to ASHRAE 90.1-2010 *
Maintain the same FWR (as defined by NECB, including doors) for the
Reference as exists in the Proposed Design, up to the prescribed maximum.
If the Proposed Design’s FWR exceeds the prescribed FWR, scale down the
fenestrations in the Reference case accordingly.

However, NECB is quite unclear on this topic and it could be good to have
an official guidance :)

Benjamin Zizi
Coordonnateur technique

Évaluateur écologique et énergétique LEED Habitations

Évaluations Écohabitation
6001, rue St-Hubert | Montréal QC | H2S 2L8
514.985.0004 poste 613 | 1 855.400.0326

ecohabitation.com

Suivez-nous !
facebook <https://www.facebook.com/ECOhabitation/> | twitter