[Equest-users] SPACE AND ZONE

Daniel Knapp danielk at arborus.ca
Wed Jan 9 05:48:53 PST 2019

Good morning,

In eQUEST/DOE2 each zone is associated with a single space. Air within that zone is assumed to be uniformly mixed, and all loads assigned to the space (or to sub-spaces within the zone) are assumed to be uniformly distributed throughout the zone.

For the purpose of accounting for multiple space types within a single space, sub-spaces can be assigned (as you have noted). These sub-spaces can be used to keep track of different lighting and equipment loads (e.g. corridors, offices, etc.). Keep in mind thought that a single thermal zone should not span multiple space types which have significantly different occupany or equipment loads or schedules. Associating corridors and washrooms with an office area would make sense, however, offices and electrical/mechanical spaces would be very unlikely to occupy a single zone.

Hope that helps,
Dan

—
Daniel Knapp, PhD, PPhys, BEMP, LEED AP