[Equest-users] Exhaust Fan for Humidity Control

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at schneider-electric.com
Fri Sep 14 09:56:11 PDT 2018

Hi Paul,

To my knowledge, there’s no explicit option in equest for tying a fan/process energy to an interior/exterior humidity state.  Some  pre-processing/work outside your model would be necessary.

You could do an analysis separately in excel (ideally informed with field measurements of an existing/built situation) with intent to ultimately estimate fan runtime, and then “spoon feed” the outcome of your efforts into an eQuest model in the form of a fan schedule and some power inputs at the meter.  The likes of EMIT can make the transition from spreadsheet efforts easier.

I might however first want to take a step back and draw caution towards understanding more of the context behind this measure… I’m reminded that Mr. Lstiburek’s articles in the ASHRAE journals and beyond (hosted here: https://buildingscience.com/document-search <-- you can filter results by ticking the box for “Crawlspaces”) repeatedly warn against passively/actively ventilating building crawlspaces to/from the exterior.  It’s my general sense that active ventilation with exterior conditions can generally cause more problems than it solves with regard to humidity/moisture issues.  If however we’re talking about circulation of conditioned (interior) air and treating the crawlspace like a conditioned/sealed basement, that’s approaching an “ideal” state WRT moisture control.

I hope this is a little helpful!

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D44C19.6DAEC290]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP