[Equest-users] Green power

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Tue Sep 11 13:16:04 PDT 2018

Hi Tejas,
Try this EPA document<https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-01/documents/purchasing_guide_for_web.pdf>, newly updated, for explanations of the variations of “Green Power”.

My attempt at an explanation: Green power and RECs are products that capture the benefit of renewable electricity generation at an off-site location.
You can think of RECs as the added value of renewable electricity versus fossil-fuel generated electricity. Solar power is awesome! Coal-fired power is still pretty impressive. If you want to pay for the difference between awesome and impressive, you buy RECs.

What if you want to buy all the awesome, including the electricity itself? You buy Green power/energy. You purchase green power through an electric utility (or an energy supplier, depending on how the electricity market is regulated where you live). You pay for the same electricity that was going to come in through your electric service no matter who you bought it from or how much you paid for it. But you also pay for the added value of an equivalent amount of renewable energy that was generated somewhere else. Buying green power is basically buying dirty power + RECs.

Note: “Green power” is not the same as “on-site renewables”. Installing solar PV or wind power etc. on the building or building site is covered in LEED V4 “Renewable Energy Production”.

I have a cynical view of carbon offsets and will just leave it at that.

Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer

[Pathfinder-EA-logo-2]T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005
bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>        www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>