[Equest-users] New eQuest VRF capabilities - Questions

Doug Maddox doug at maddoxenergy.com
Sat Nov 10 10:04:35 PST 2018

Nick,

Here are some answers to your questions:

1.  I believe Bill is correct in his response yesterday.

2.  NUMBER-OF-UNITS is an alternative to MAX-CAP/UNIT.  However,
MAX-CAP/UNIT will still have an effect if the total system capacity divided
by NUMBER-OF-UNITS exceeds the MAX-CAP/UNIT value. This prevents having
unrealistically high capacity handled by the refrigerant piping.

3.  Refrigerant line insulation is not editable.  The thickness of
insulation depends on pipe size and whether it is a liquid pipe or a gas
pipe as follows.

High Pressure Liquid Pipe:

   <= 0.375 inch nominal pipe size: 0.375 inch insulation thickness

  Larger pipe: 0.5 inch insulation thickness

Suction Gas Pipe:

   < 2 inch nominal pipe size: 1 inch insulation thickness

 Smaller pipe: 0.75 inch insulation thickness

Insulation conductivity is 0.25 Btu/hr-in-F

4.  The only system diagram I have is shown below. Leader is the line from
the outdoor unit to the first branch, header is the main line from the first
branch to the last branch, and a branch is from the header to an indoor
unit.

5.  The AUX-POWER represents energy for controls, not backup heating. Maybe
electric baseboards could work for supplemental. Probably should be
addressed in a future release.