[Equest-users] eQuest Floor Multipliers & HVAC System(s)

Daric Adair Daric.Adair at hendersonengineers.com
Wed Jul 11 07:12:15 PDT 2018

All;

Have a multistory building, hoping to use floor multipliers, but running into a issues understanding the HVAC simulation. For a 10 story building, with floor multipliers, I get a ground/bottom floor, top floor, and 8 middle floors. All good. With "system per floor" HVAC design I am getting 3 systems - bottom, top and a middle one that is far bigger than the other two.
If I disable the multipliers and model all 10 floors, also with system per floor, there are now 10 HVAC systems. The (auto-sized) total CFM, capacity, etc. are roughly, but not exactly, the same for the full building with the multipliers.

So, this leads me to believe that with multipliers eQuest is simulating 3 HVAC systems; without multipliers it is simulating 10. Can anyone validate?

I understand that the middle 8 floors will ideally have the same loads (no outside shading or other factors - ideal exercise here); and thus that the single large system is roughly the same as the 8 individual systems totaled. But explaining this to the untrained (and potentially stubborn...) leaves me wanting confirmation. Is there a detailed report that reports what a single middle floor HVAC system would need CFM/capacity wise? (SV-A for a single middle floor)

Which leads to a second question. If modeling Proposed/real systems with multipliers, should the air flow, capacity, etc of those to be summed before input to eQuest? This just 'feels' screwy.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
DARIC R ADAIR PE, CEM, BEMP
Mechanical Engineer, Energy Analyst

Henderson Engineers
8345 Lenexa Drive, Suite 300  |  Lenexa, KS 66214
Tel (913) 742-5530
daric.adair at hendersonengineers.com<mailto:daric.adair at hendersonengineers.com>

hendersonengineers.com<http://www.hendersonengineers.com/>

Licensed in KS

Sending me large files? Please use Henderson File Share<https://apps.hendersonengineers.com/FileShare/Upload?to=daric.adair@hendersonengineers.com> | TX ID #F-001236

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of Henderson Engineers, Inc. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify administrator at hendersonengineers.com.