[Equest-users] small INDOOR chillers

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Jan 4 07:02:00 PST 2018

Hi Nick,
You could try modeling these portable process chillers as refrigerated casework. There are refrigeration capabilities in eQUEST v3.64 and v3.65 running in DOE-2.2 mode, accessible through Refrigeration tabs at systems and zones. There are options to model auxiliary loads that can be seen as cooling loads in the zone(s) that contain the "casework". See the DOE-2 documentation for REFG-AUX-KW, REFG-ASH-KW and REFG-AUX-FRAC. I don't see an option for an indoor condenser (to model portable chillers with no outside condenser), so you would need to adjust the condenser and performance curve keywords accordingly to keep compressor power independent of ambient temperature.
Regardless of how you account for the process chiller energy, you need to have a good estimate of the process load on the laboratory hydronic loops. My preference would be to adjust the process load and/or load schedule at the space(s) using EQUIPMENT-KW or SOURCE-BTU/HR to account for the refrigeration energy, and use the SPACE:EQUIP-SENSIBLE or SPACE:SOURCE-SENSIBLE to model heat rejected to indoor zones.
Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D38543.3ABEC440]  [cid:image006.jpg at 01D38543.3ABEC440]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.