[Equest-users] Space plenums have cooling load

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at schneider-electric.com
Tue Apr 17 14:34:47 PDT 2018

Hi Jing,

It seems unintuitive to assert that your proposed case plenums has increased cooling loads – is there a good set of reasons for this?

I’m also unclear on what you mean by “it still shows cooling load for those space” – could you unpack this a little further?

Systems which use the plenums as a return air path could be a cause for why their loads are seen at the systems (though it sounds like you intend for them to be isolated).  I might start with considering the sources of heat gains to your plenums, and determining what should be happening to direct/indirect heat gains to plenums over time.   Should they be circulated back to systems responding to conditioned spaces?  Common sources would include indirect gains from ceiling lighting fixtures, envelope (skin) loads (potentially exacerbated if spandrel glass is present), and internal loads transferred hourly from conditioned spaces below and from adjacent plenums.

If I had your model in-hand, I might scan for the presence of thermostat heating/cooling schedules being assigned to your plenum spaces, or assignments to a plenum space as a master zone for specific system types.  Those could produce direct calls for airstream heating/cooling which otherwise wouldn’t be occurring.

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D3D669.FC53D920]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer