[Equest-users] Issue with floors being offset in Wizard?

Nicholas Caton via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Sep 15 06:46:20 PDT 2017

I’m sure there are multiple good approaches, but the one that works for me when I have fairly complex shell layouts is to do the following:

  1.  Before starting geometries in the wizards, make sure all your CAD references for multi-level buildings are origin-aligned.  If you were to copy one onto another using the origin as a reference point, the plans should should properly align.
  2.  After the first shell, be sure to specify the following in the first screen for every subsequent shell:
     *   Position this shell:  via Coordinates
     *   Tick the box for Exact Site Coordinates
     *   Leave X and Y at 0.0 (matching the first shell’s default)
     *   Provide a Z value as needed to ensure the shell is the right height from the ground.  Note that below grade floors for a given shell’s Z-coordinate will extend downward from that elevation.

[cid:image003.png at 01D32DFE.40EA33F0]

  1.  It’s never a bad idea to finish the wizards just to check your work in the 3D view - you can always hop back in to make corrections!

For reference, in the event you’re ever well into detailed edits, and wish you made a different decision, these inputs are basically replicated as FLOOR geometries.  You can adjust/tweak them here and observe the results in the 3D view dynamically:
[cid:image004.png at 01D32DFF.16062C10]

I suspect that because you have an “alignment” step within the wizards, you might not have your CAD files pre-aligned as I’m recommending above.  If you already have a bunch of zones traced out I’d recommend just tweaking the floor’s X/Y coordinates post-wizards until it looks about right.  You could overlay your CAD files outside of eQuest to inform exactly how much of a shift is needed.

Hope that’s a bit helpful!

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D32DFD.ABAB1C50]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP