[Equest-users] Glass Library Question

Bishop, Bill via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Sep 8 08:37:39 PDT 2017

Sounds like we could benefit from an updated DOE-2 window library based on Bruce’s observations.
As to the meaning of “e3=.4”, per Table 7 in the DOE-2 help entry for “WINDOW Library”:

Low-E:

A low emissivity metallic coating is applied in order to increase thermal IR reflectance.  The coated surface is indicated by en = v, where n = 1 is the outside of the outer pane, n = 2 is the inside of the outer pane, etc., and v is the emissivity (see, for example, G-T-C = 2635, where e2 = 0.1 indicates a coating with an emissivity of 0.1 on surface #2).

So, “e3=.4” describes an assembly with a low-e coating of emissivity 0.4 on the inside surface of the inner pane.
Syracuse Glass has a good list of considerations for low-e coatings and whether to have them on the #2 or #3 surface. Generally, coat the #3 surface if heat loss is the primary consideration, and the #2 surface to limit solar heat gains.
http://www.syracuseglass.com/E-DOCS/Insulating%20Glass/EDOCS/LOW-E%20Coating%20Orientation.pdf

Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D32896.FC4F3090]  [cid:image004.jpg at 01D32896.FC4F3090]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.