[Equest-users] [Bldg-sim] eQuest - Energy consumption increasing on reducing Glass U-Value

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Fri Nov 3 06:59:08 PDT 2017

Jim’s suggestion is a classic case for why energy would increase due to higher performance change in the envelope – my other best suggestion is to review the model outputs that restate the space loads and window performance and verify that the inputs are as intended. Side note that 2.0 to 2.5 W/sf for equipment might be a little on the higher side, depending on what the commercial spaces are and density of computers or other electronics.

I suggest also to look at electricity and/or natural gas monthly to see the pattern of the changes (or to use a report variable to see heating, cooling, and fan motor energy separate if all-electric) which may help determine if the result makes sense or if a modeling input needs to be changed.

Another thing to look at is what energy flows increased and which deceased – it could be possible if you have high airflow minimums or constant volume that there is a lot of reheat in the spaces. When the window was upgraded the amount of “freeheat” from the outside would be reduced. I don’t think this is likely from your equipment loads, but I use it as an example of examining the monthly data to determine possible causes for the net increase in energy use – if you can identify specifically what equipment used more energy it will help to debug the model.
David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Associate

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Mobile: (773) 490-5038

Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers

grummanbutkus.com<http://grummanbutkus.com/> | Blog<http://grummanbutkus.com/blog> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/GrummanButkus-Associates/1385285015032526> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/grummanbutkus>