[Equest-users] eQuest Default Schedules

Porter, Frederick NOR via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue May 16 08:15:02 PDT 2017

OK, BEM History Buffs,
To the extent these aren’t just guesswork, I think the electric end-use schedules (ASHRAE, Wizard, etc.) generally used or referenced by modelers evolved from “ELCAP” information:
“The End-Use Load and Consumer Assessment Program (ELCAP) was undertaken by the Bonneville Power Administration from 1986 through 1989 in an effort to obtain hourly and sub-hourly electricity demand information from a variety of residential and commercial end-uses.”
EVERYTHING you want to know about this is available at https://elcap.nwcouncil.org/Reports.aspx! It seems on other parts of that website you can comb through raw data if you want.

There are some obvious flaws with schedules output by the Wizard for a default eQ office building:

If ASHRAE 62.1 #/ksf or chair counts, etc. are used to set space occupancy, it’s pretty clear that occupancy schedules should not be 90% during most occupied hours for all spaces in most commercial/institutional buildings. (The actual FTE is often only 50% of the sum of these design occupancies.)

I’d say similar things about interior lighting, though that depends more on the type of building, and not to the same degree. I don’t recall right away any great recent published load shapes for lighting; lots of effort has been expended on plug loads.

I’m never quite sure about the differentiation between “Misc Eqp” and “Office Eqp” (for the default office model, the Wizard only uses its “Misc” schedule in any case) but it’s pretty clear that neither should be 4% or 6% on weekends and holidays in most buildings. Unoccupied load magnitudes are rarely this low, though if folks just take their gear with them now when they leave, some “office” or classroom areas may approach that. But “typical” measurements are closer to 30%, excluding servers. NBI has sponsored and published some good recent work. And Joe Huang and colleagues are trying to develop more realistic statistical distributions for all these behavior-driven inputs.

Note that to the extent that more diversity is applied during normal, occupied hours in the annual simulation using repeating schedules, it becomes more important to use design day schedules, with values near 100% during occupied hours, to produce reasonable zone cooling loads, if “auto-sizing.”

The DHW “use” schedule (5% all nights, 1.5% WEH) seems to be trying to capture the effects of circulating loop losses or real stragglers. There is virtually no DHW use at those times. Standby losses should be captured elsewhere in building models.

And infiltration “schedules?” We’re still using these? Better than nothing I guess. The Wizard does try to account for entries if a zone has doors, increasing infiltration even during “fan on” hours when it is normally reduced. Better than some other default schedules.

Fred
Fred Porter, BEMP, LEED© AP
Principal Engineer
Sustainability Services