[Equest-users] Wall insulation in multifamily buildings

David Griffin II via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon Mar 13 16:46:05 PDT 2017

I thought I might chime in on this discussion as well to drive a few points home.

I have attached a file illustrating a graph to explain Joe’s comment below. It shows diminishing returns from increased insulation. When it comes to effective envelope ECMs for projects. I focus on two very important things:

1)      Lower infiltration will save you more energy than any other envelope ECM. However, it is hard to get an owner to buy off on this and enforce the requirement with the contractor. Typically, an envelope consultant will be brought in to assist the architect with details, supervise the contractor during construction, and test the building (or a portion thereof) to verify performance. You can see how something like this is hard sell to an owner because it can be a costly process, and if the building fails the blower door test, the contractor has a $$ issue and the a lot of rework.

2)      Window-to-Wall Ratio (WWR) reduction is great. On the curve illustrated in the attached file, you essentially replace an expensive window with a cheaper wall assembly and saving more energy! It’s a true win-win-win. However, windows exist for more reasons than daylight controls. Comfort and views are essential for occupants. Some architects may also argue they are essential for aesthetics as well, so you have to have a target in mind for the project you are willing to negotiate. On commercial projects, I generally shoot for 25% WWR.

3)      Window upgrades are next since they have the most potential to save energy on the illustrated curve. Since you tried to minimize the WWR on #2, this ECM will be cheaper than it would have been otherwise – always saving the client $$ ☺ This includes glazing and frames.

4)      After all three of the above items are addressed, I start to talk about added insulation in the walls, roof, etc.
Anyway, this is my approach on new construction. Is this what you guys see, or am I missing something?

Let me know.

[ARCH | NEXUS]<http://www.archnexus.com>
DAVID W. GRIFFIN II
BEMP
ENERGY ANALYST
2505 E Parleys Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
Office 801.924.5028
archnexus.com<http://www.archnexus.com>
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/arch_nexus>[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Architectural-Nexus/179588705397563?ref=ts&fref=ts>[Youtube]<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYRPWKF-yp-AUiI8ia2XfKw?feature=mhee>[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/architectural-nexus>