[Equest-users] Wall insulation in multifamily buildings

David Eldridge via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Mar 9 14:07:26 PST 2017

R-19 is not the worst starting point, I’d expect diminishing returns going from good insulation to great insulation, but a much bigger jump in efficiency from poor to good insulation levels.

Make sure you are modeling the cavity insulation accurately including any equivalent assembly resistance due to the studs. i.e. continuous insulation requirements are there because the cavity insulation is de-rated quite a bit from the studs and which can be important in colder climates.

In terms of an overall percentage difference due to envelope changes you may also see that window performance dominates if the WWR is relatively high.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates