[Equest-users] Wall insulation in multifamily buildings

Michael Campbell via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Mar 9 12:44:05 PST 2017

Hello eQUEST Users,

I've been working on a model for a multifamily building, 5 stories,
approximately 300,000 square feet.  I've been running a few iterations of
the model to see how changes to the wall assembly affect the model
results.

What I've found is that changes in the wall assembly seem to have a minimal
impact on the model results.  I just did a comparison where I took an
assembly with R-19 cavity insulation and 2" rigid insulation and compared
that to the same assembly but without the rigid insulation.  This was
applied to the entire building.  What I found was only a 0.4% increase in
total energy cost after taking out the rigid insulation.  I'm wondering if
others have found similar results in multifamily buildings?

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike Campbell