[Equest-users] Wall insulation in multifamily buildings

Joe Huang via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Mar 9 15:32:36 PST 2017

I'd say the message is that R-19 wall insulation has already "captured" most of the energy
losses (or savings) for the wall.

(leaning heavily on my cane...) Back in 1986, I did a project in support of ASHRAE and DOE
residential energy standards where I did what then seemed an endless number of DOE-2
simulations (~ 20,000) for five prototypical residences in 45 US climates, from which
using regression analyses I came up with the component loads (KBtu/ft2) for various
components of the building (walls, roofs, internal loads, windows, etc.).  Just picking
out the wall component loads for an apartment in Seattle, Miami, and DC, I get the following:

             Seattle             Miami            Washington DC
             HL        CL        HL        CL        HL        CL
R-0     28.8     0.8       1.1       4.7       23.1     1.5
R-11   10.9     0.4       0.3       1.5        8.9      0.8
R-19     7.1     0.3       0.2       0.9        5.9      0.5
R-34     3.9     0.2       0.1       0.5        3.2      0.3

So, by R-19, you're already on the flat part of the curve and more insulation buys you
very little.

Incidentally, this data base of component loads was then turned into a PC program called
PEAR (Program for Energy Analysis of Residences) that then multiplied the regression
curves by the component scalar (ft2 of wall, e.g.), and added them up to derive the
heating and cooling energy use of a house.
PEAR is now so out-of-date technologically that the display no longer functions, but I
still think there's some good basic information contained in the data base.  David -
maybe something that could be updated and maintained by IBPSA?  Or better yet, put it on
the Web ?

source: "Technical documentation for a Residential Energy Use Data Base Developed in
Support of ASHRAE Special Project 53", Huang, Ritschard, and Bull,
LBL-24306,  November 1987.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A