[Equest-users] Boiler Curves in Library

Brad Painting via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue Jan 10 05:47:14 PST 2017

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am comparing some of the information in the PG&E study with the algorithms described in the DOE2 Engineer’s manual. I am confused about how the MIN-RATIO variable is used. It seems like the engineer’s manual states that the equipment only cycles on/off when the load drops below MIN-RATIO, but it also states that the part load performance curves account  for cycling (pg. v.10):

[cid:image004.png at 01D26B1B.F18A56F0]
For a single stage boiler then, what is the MIN-RATIO doing if all of the part load performance is already attributed to cycling?

The graph of “Unit 1” performance in the PG&E study (pg. 40) closely matches the performance curve from the Atmospheric-Blr-HIR-fPLR curve in the library. “Unit 1” is a single stage boiler, so all part load performance would occur from cycling. What would the best curve be to simulate the part load performance of a modulating non-condensing boiler?