[Equest-users] Test your knowledge of simulation weather file formats Part 2: the EnergyPlus *.epw format

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Dec 12 22:26:17 PST 2017

This is the second of several posts regarding the nitty-gritty of commonly-used weather
file formats.  Like the post last week about the DOE-2 *.bin format, I've structured this
post as a small contest testing  your familiarity with weather file formats or at least
visual acumen about weather data.

The second weather file format I'm putting under the microscope is the EnergyPlus *.epw
format.  Since the *.epw format is a text file, the data are readily observable, so
there's no lead to provide a report of the data or explain the packing procedure as was
done for the *.bin file last week.

I've attached with this post an epw file for Leignica Poland downloaded from the
Climate.OneBuilding.Org web site.  The selection of that weather file was almost entirely
random, but its provenance being converted to an epw from a non-US weather file meets my
only criteria for selection that I'll explain after the contest.   As in last week's
contest, the intent is not to pick on isolated quirks in the data, but look for more
systemic issues that are common to a data format or conversion process. As before, I
challenge you to find three things  in this hourly file that are unusual or questionable.
Hint: check the almanac for the time of sunrise and sunset.

You should send your answers to me via e-mail. Please don't post them on the Web as that
might give away the answer to others.  The first five persons to get the right answers
will get a free weather file of whatever type (typical year or historical year) that
available on the White Box Technologies web site.

I will announce the results on Thursday.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A
Moraga CA 94556