[Equest-users] Baseline system selection for combination of DES and electrict

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at schneider-electric.com
Fri Dec 1 12:50:18 PST 2017

Hi Milan,

For more constructive responses, you might want to provide further description of what you mean by "baseline system selection."  Is this for a specific energy standard or version of LEED, or something else for compliance modeling?  Are you exploring new construction or renovation options outside the constraints of something like LEED or an energy standard?  Each of these scenarios might provoke different advice for baseline system type decisions.

In my experience with the likes of LEED reviews, I have more than once run into circumstances where building heating source or other factors appear to make more than one 90.1 baseline system type "correct" for the same spatial areas of the building (i.e. furnace preheat, electric coil reheat for a VAVS system).  In those scenarios, I've been deliberate in my initial submission to generate extra documentation to clearly present the conundrum in application of the standard, and to make the case for why I elected to choose one type over another - typically demonstrating and illustrating for example something like "the majority (XX%) of airstream heating over the year is shown to be via combustion heating sources relative to electric heating sources." I've never had a LEED reviewer reject a clearly made case under those circumstances.

There also exists the option to use more than one baseline system type where that makes the most sense.  There are for example in 90.1 exceptions to the "one system per floor" rule that define circumstances under which you may (or must - depends on your interpretation) define additional system types.
For what it's worth, I *personally* interpret these rules and corresponding exceptions for the quantity and variety of baseline system types as a series of guidelines to judge what's appropriate, and aren't to be taken too rigidly/literally (i.e. don't get hung up over whether a very different system covers a specific square footage when it also covers nearly half the building - there's an obvious case there for >1 system type).  I know others like to interpret this language very rigidly however, and respect that position if that helps you sort out applying the standard.

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D36A87.281461F0]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer