[Equest-users] Hot water Loop Heat Loss

Daniel Knapp via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Aug 23 08:32:42 PDT 2017

Hello,

Supply losses from the loop are modelled by setting the "Supply Loss UA” value in Btu/hr-ºF. When this value is set eQUEST asks you to enter a zone location. Supply losses are then calculated by taking the difference in temperature between the zone and the water loop at every hour and multiplying this by “Supply Loss UA”. The supply loss UA should be calculated beforehand from what you know about the pipe insulation (i.e. conductivity) and the diameter of the pipe. According to the DOE-2 Dictionary "Supply Loss DT” is an alternative entry (i.e. another way of specifying heat losses through the pipe) to “Supply Loss UA” and is ignored if a value has been entered for “Supply Loss UA”.

Hope that helps,

Dan

—
Daniel Knapp, PhD, PPhys, BEMP, LEED AP
Senior Energy Analyst
ARBORUS CONSULTING
43 Eccles St. 2nd Floor,
Ottawa, ON K1R 6S3
(613) 234-7178 x113
danielk at arborus.ca <mailto:robinh at arborus.ca>
http://www.arborus.ca <http://www.arborus.ca/>  Check out our new website!

Form follows Nature—Building a Net Positive Environment
Join us October 5, 2017 at the Annual Green Building Festival,
Visit the conference website: www.gbf17.com <http://www.gbf17.com/>