[Equest-users] Fw: Composite wall of frame and cavity insulation

Nicholas Caton via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon Apr 3 08:19:20 PDT 2017

It would be nice quality-of-life feature to someday add a “framing + insulation” calculator to the detailed interface, but in the interim it’s not too bad to look up:

With 90.1-2007 open/at-hand:

·         Table A9.2B details effective R-values for a layer of steel studs + batt layer, for a variety of spacing & framing dimensions.

·         For wood framing, a parallel path calc can reference:

o   R-1.25/in for two-by wood framing (See Table A9.4D if you are uncertain of actual lumber depth dimensions), and

o   Table A9.4C to look up effective batt insulation when compressed into wood stud cavities for various dimensions.

I would expect these to line up very closely with the insulation+ framing layer the wizards generate.  Opening a second instance of eQUEST to leverage the wizard dropdowns is an option I suppose, though I’m not sure if it will save you much time relative to tabbing a copy of 90.1.

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D2AC60.A65DF8E0]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer