[Equest-users] Editing DOE-2.1e/eQuest Weather Files

Joe Huang via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Sep 8 11:31:02 PDT 2016

Please note that the utility program names Chris mentioned are those in DOE-2.1E and
before. The program names  on the doe2.com web site have been changed, although the
programs are the same:

wthfmt2.f  == BIN2TXT  (goes from *.bin to *.fmt)
fmtwth2.f  == TXT2BIN   (goes from *.fmt to *.bin)

Both of these are compiled Fortran programs, so you would have to run them in a Command
Line window (horrors!), in which the programs expect the *.bin file to be called
WEATHER.BIN and the *.fmt file to be called WEATHER.FMT.   In addition, ftmwth2 needs a
single line INPUT.TMP file telling the program whether the *.bin file has solar data or
not (99.9% of the instances now always "yes" but in the early days DOE-2 would calculate
the solar using very old routines in case the weather file didn't have it).  To automate
the renaming of files and generating the INPUT.TMP, the doe2.com web site provides two
MS-DOS batch scripts MKAFT.BAT and PKAFT.BAT. These are essentially the same as the two
MS-DOS batch scripts I use, except for the changed names of the two programs:

dowthfmt.bat:
copy ..\Packed\%1.bin WEATHER.BIN
wthfmt2
move WEATHER.FMT ..\unpacked\%1.fmt
erase WEATHER.BIN

to run, just type "dowthfmt [bin file name without the *.bin extension]"
(this assumes that the %1.bin file is in the ..\Packed\ directory

dofmtwth.bat:
if %2 == S  echo             2                 5 > FMTWTH.INP
if %2 == NS echo             2                 2 > FMTWTH.INP
copy ..\Unpacked\%1.fmt WEATHER.FMT
fmtwth2
move WEATHER.BIN ..\Packed\%1.BIN
erase WEATHER.*

to run, type "dofmtwth [weather file name without the *.fmt extension]  S"
(S indicates the weather file contains solar, this assumes that the %1.fmt file is in the
..\Unpacked\ directory)

If you continue to have problems with getting things to work, you can also download my
original copies of wthfmt2 and fmtwth2 at
http://www.whiteboxtechnologies.com/WEATHER_UTILITIES/wthfmt2_fmtwth2.zip

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.