[Equest-users] Gas or Electric (System 5 or System 6)

Jeff Ross-Bain via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue Oct 18 10:41:14 PDT 2016

Hi All,

A 50,000 sf building we are looking at has electric DX cooling and electric heat VAV terminal boxes in the zones. The only gas use in this system is for a small pre-heat coil on the RTU and there is also an energy recovery ventilator. In developing the Baseline model, should we use System 5 (gas boiler) or go with System 6 (all electric)?

With gas, I know the default is to use Sys 5 but in this case the pre-heat is a very small part of the system so the "predominant" heating energy use is electric. The Baseline will still be modeled with the same gas pre-heater per Appendix G, either way.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Regards,

Jeff Ross-Bain, PE, LEED Fellow
President