[Equest-users] Changes to floor plans in detailed mode

Nicholas Caton via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Oct 21 13:20:43 PDT 2016

Typically I’d structure my workflow for projects involving schematic development explorations to plan on at least one “whole model rebuild” to occur after building massing/floorplates/zoning are pretty much where they’re going to land.

This of course doesn’t always fit every design team in practice.  If someone is rattling the design teams’ cage majorly well after schematic design, that’s ammo to push back on deadlines/compensation.  If major geometry reworks are a habit with anyone you intend to regularly work with, have an open discussion to ensure they’re aware of direct impacts on your workflow, and adjust your quotes/proposals for services accordingly in the future.

Broad advice, a “complete rebuild” is a lot less painful than it sounds when you consider most of the time constructing/developing an energy simulation model is spent researching/deciding what to do next & on gathering/developing inputs.  If you document your inputs development process well, and leverage input “shortcuts” like user defaults expressions and stripping out hard inputs with a text editor, “full rebuilds” starting back in wizards should take a fraction of the time.

I also happen to really like coffee, so that helps I suppose.

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D22BAE.AEEE4380]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer