[Equest-users] Ventilation in Multi-Family Building

Sunayana Jain via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed May 25 15:10:17 PDT 2016

Hello,

I have 12 storey multi-family building in PA. Corridors are served by
Makeup Air units with high CFM (0.9 CFM/sq.ft). Apartment units are served
by split fan coil units (dX cooling and hot water boiler). Apartment
bathrooms have continuously running exhaust fans of 30 CFM each.

How will be apartment ventilation modeled for proposed case?

1)      Will it be assumed that Outside Air is coming through infiltration?

2)      Do I need to put Outdoor Air flow value for apartments in eQUEST
manually? Would this value be zero since apartments are naturally
ventilated?

3)      Should I take supply fan on cycling for fan coil units?

4)      What would be the source of exhaust for the bathroom? Would it be
infiltration or air handler?

How will be the apartment ventilation modeled in the baseline case?

1)      Baseline system would be PTAC for apartments. Since Outside Air
will be provided through PTAC, should the supply fans be set for continuous
operation?

As I understand that this is pretty common situation in multi-family
buildings. I am interested in knowing that how other energy modelers work
on this scenario.

Thanks,

Sunayana