[Equest-users] Curtain wall system - how to model baseline?

via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Jul 28 10:12:29 PDT 2016

Spandrel (opaque) sections of curtainwall are “walls” in both proposed and baseline cases as far as 90.1 terminology is concerned.  Consider them as such for determining both Proposed and Baseline case WWR’s.

In my past year of experience, similar to Nathan, I’ve dealt with many “fishbowl” buildings which appear all (or mostly) glass from the outside but typically have at least few feet of insulated envelope on the interior perimeter, so in that case it’s literally a wall construction with the outermost layer being glazing (or airspace then glass).

Be sure to dig up any relevant envelope sections/details to carefully draw the line between “opaque” and “not opaque.”

~Nick

Nick Caton, P.E.

  Senior Energy Engineer
  Energy and Sustainability Services