[Equest-users] Modeled Interior Floors as Exterior Roofs

Lapierre, Patrick via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Jul 14 04:46:18 PDT 2016

Hi Darryl,

From what I understand, your problem comes from the fact that when you specify a roof on a shell (Wizard, page 3), a roof is created for every zone of that shell regardless of what’s directly over the zone. In example, you can have a 3rd floor zone with a roof even though there’s another zone directly above it on the 4th floor.
Unfortunately, eQUEST does not make this “check”.

To avoid this problem, you can of the following:

A.     Model zones with roofs in separate shells than those without roofs

B.     Manually delete the excess roofs in the detailed design phase and replace them with ceiling.

C.      Model roofs only for the top floor and manually add extra roofs for those zones not on the top floor.

D.     Assign insulation values of R = 10000 (eQUEST maximum) to the excess roofs.

Whatever option you choose, you might encounter some zones with partial roofs which might cause you some problems. Meaning the exposed roof of the zone doesn’t match the full footprint of the zone. This will net you weird zone patterns if you use option A. If you use option B or C you will have to create polygons matching the exact roof surface and model the roof using these polygons. If you use option D, you can create a construction R value based on the actual roof surface vs eQUEST modeled roof surface ratio.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a “magic” solution. Each one has it’s upside and downside.

Hope this helps.

[Bouthillette Parizeau]<http://www.bpa.ca/>

Patrick Lapierre_ing.
plapierre at bpa.ca