[Equest-users] Questions - Foam Board R-value Variations by Temp

Bishop, Bill via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Aug 31 06:17:29 PDT 2016

Hi Chris,
Some quick thoughts:

1.)    It sounds like this question of effective R-value as a function of temperature needs to be addressed through more research. Perhaps NRCA could coordinate an effort with ASHRAE (but I wouldn't know how to pursue this).

2.)    You will have several inches of continuous insulation in Climate Zone 8 for roofs and above-grade walls, with minimum R-19 up to R-35 c.i. required per ASHRAE 90.1-2013. There will be a temperature gradient through these layers of insulation, so that only the outer layer would approach the outside air temperature. A math-savvy person with some time on their hands could take the temperature-dependent curve you mention and apply some calculus to estimate the effective U-factor for the assembly.

3.)    How to model? We often compare designs to an ASHRAE baseline. Standard 90.1 requirements are in terms of effective R-values and U-factors which will be modeled the same way in eQUEST regardless of the effective R-value per inch. We always have to make judgement calls regarding the effective (and long-term) R-values of insulation relative to the published literature available. So maybe polyiso isn't R-6/inch. Maybe it's R-5, R-4 or worse. In any case, we typically have many other variables that are unknown with equal, or greater impact on our energy numbers, such as infiltration rates. We can always perform sensitivity analyses of these variables to see how important they are to the energy performance of our particular designs.

4.)    For design/loads simulation purposes, you could use the worst estimated U-factor for your constructions for heating sizing, and the non-temperature-degraded value for cooling sizing. For annual energy simulation, better to estimate the assembly U-factors at a weighted-average outside temperature. I am not aware of a way to directly simulate temperature-dependent R-values in DOE-2/eQUEST.

5.)    There is also a question of thermal mass. If you have to add more layers of insulation to get a desired assembly U-factor, then you are also adding mass, which impacts the response factors of assemblies. With the relatively low densities of continuous insulation, the added thermal mass might not have much impact on the time-delayed heat flow through the wall. Again, this is something we can determine through sensitivity analyses of our designs should we wish. If NRCA and/or ASHRAE conduct new tests of insulation materials, it would be good to get data on specific heat values as well.
Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D20368.8002E080]  [cid:image008.jpg at 01D20368.8002E080]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.