[Equest-users] [Bldg-sim] How to mirror a building in eQUEST

via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Apr 28 13:32:14 PDT 2016

Some clever thinking so far – fun to read!

Furthering idea #2 – what seems like a lot of work could possibly be automated with user-default expressions…

·         The “starting” Azimuth input for each exterior wall surface is determined the following doe2 default expression:

if( (#P("SHAPE")==#SI("NO-SHAPE","SPACE","SHAPE"))

.or.(#RV(#L("LOCATION"))!=0)) then  0.0

else

if(#P("SHAPE")==#SI("BOX","SPACE","SHAPE")) then

  switch (#SV(#L("LOCATION")))

   case 1 : 180.0

   case 2 :   0.0

   case 3 : 270.0

   case 4 :  90.0

   case 5 : 180.0

   case 6 :   0.0

   case 11: 180.0

   case 12:  90.0

   case 13:   0.0

   case 14: 270.0

   default :  0.0

  endswitch

else

  if (#SV(#L("LOCATION")) > 10) then

    CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), #SV(#L("LOCATION"))-11 ) - 180.0

  else

   switch (#SV(#L("LOCATION")))

    case 1 : 180.0

    case 2 : 90.0

    case 3 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 3 ) - 180.0

    case 4 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 1 ) - 180.0

    case 5 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

    case 6 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 2 ) - 180.0

    default :  CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

   endswitch

  endif

endif

endif

·         For my own sanity I’m assuming like most (all?) wizard-generated models, your spaces are all defined using polygons, so we can substantially simplify the above default expression:

if (#SV(#L("LOCATION")) > 10)

  then

    CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), #SV(#L("LOCATION"))-11 ) - 180.0

  else

   switch (#SV(#L("LOCATION")))

    case 1 : 180.0

    case 2 : 90.0

    case 3 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 3 ) - 180.0

    case 4 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 1 ) - 180.0

    case 5 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

    case 6 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 2 ) - 180.0

    default :  CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

   endswitch

endif

·         In the above if/then & switch statements, #SV(#L("LOCATION")) is returning whatever you would be choosing in this dropdown:

o   “Top” à “Back” would return #SV(#L("LOCATION")) = 1 à 6

o   “V1 of Space Polygon” returns #SV(#L("LOCATION")) = 11,  V2=12, V3=13… etc.

o   Again falling back to wizard-generated models, I note walls normally  use vertices for locations, so we only need to mess with the first case (#SV(#L("LOCATION")) > 10)

·         So… to “flip” azimuth (+180) for all the walls we just add 180 to the 3rd line:

if (#SV(#L("LOCATION")) > 10)

  then

    CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), #SV(#L("LOCATION"))-11 ) - 180.0 + 180

  else

   switch (#SV(#L("LOCATION")))

    case 1 : 180.0

    case 2 : 90.0

    case 3 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 3 ) - 180.0

    case 4 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 1 ) - 180.0

    case 5 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

    case 6 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 2 ) - 180.0

    default :  CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

   endswitch

endif

(yeah, I could also just remove the -180, but retaining for clarity at this point)

This makes a model go from this:

To this:

·         Notwithstanding some new concerns regarding X/Y positioning to ensure accurate building self-shading (I’ll circle back to this), we now have all walls & their children (windows/doors) facing a 180-degree “flipped” direction.

·         This leaves the issue that you only want this “azimuth flip” applied to surfaces which are North/South (or East/West) facing.  There’s probably a few ways to do this, but I fell back to calculating “plan north” orientation using parent+grandparent inputs:

if (#SV(#L("LOCATION")) > 10)

  then

   switch(MOD(#P2("AZIMUTH") + #P("AZIMUTH"), 360))

    case 0   : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), #SV(#L("LOCATION"))-11 )

    case 180 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), #SV(#L("LOCATION"))-11 )

    default  : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), #SV(#L("LOCATION"))-11 ) - 180

   endswitch

  else

   switch (#SV(#L("LOCATION")))

    case 1 : 180.0

    case 2 : 90.0

    case 3 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 3 ) - 180.0

    case 4 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 1 ) - 180.0

    case 5 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

    case 6 : CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 2 ) - 180.0

    default :  CalcAz( #P("POLYGON"), 0 ) - 180.0

   endswitch

endif

Extra Notes:

o   I made a few failed attempts to leverage the function “DEG-FROM-NORTH,” but I sense that ends up being circular logic when applied to an exterior surface azimuth input... if it’s possible, I’d like to see an example!

o   The specificed switch case values 0 (North) and 180 (South) should be independent of any global azimuth input, but check the results visually in 3D view for your case… if I’m wrong you may need to work #G("BUILD-PARAMETERS","AZIMUTH")  into the switch statement.

o   If you have a “non-orthogonal” building with angled facets, you might instead want to specify the smaller number orientations for facets which DO NOT flip… if it’s a very complex footprint it may be easier to switch to if/then conditional ranges for orientation in lieu of a switch statement.

o   Ta-Da!

·         From here you could play with X/Y expressions to situate the walls more correctly to avoid oddball self-shading effects, but I suspect the moment your model stops looking like a square “box” that could get very tricky.  You could avoid the issue by just turning self-shading off if you don’t think it’s a big deal… you could also just push each modified wall a few hundred feet away from the building footprint using an X-input expression similar to (but simpler than) the above example.

Please let us know what your solution ends up looking like!

~Nick

Nick Caton, P.E.

  Senior Energy Engineer
  Energy and Sustainability Services