[Equest-users] Electric duct heaters

Manuela Mengue via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Apr 27 05:51:07 PDT 2016

Dear All,

Water source heat pumps are serving spaces in the cellar and first floor that are of concern for this model. Please review the eQuest energy model attached. I am trying to find the appropriate way to model two electric duct heaters and outside air fans on the cellar & first floors mainly utilized  to provide outside air to the WSHP units on these floors. The electric duct heaters heat the outside air from 0F to 40F (cellar) or 60F (first floor).  The temperature of entering outside air should be 40F for units "C EXERCISE ROOM SYS", "C AC SYS" AND "C SCREEN ROOM SYS" on cellar floor, and 60F for units "1 LOUNGE", "1 LOBBY SYS" and "1 CORR BIKE MAIL SYS" on first floor. I created two heating and ventilation systems "C DUCT HEATER" and "1 DUCT HEATER", and fixed the heating set point temperatures to 40F and 60F respectively. I also created and assigned dummy zones with no internal gains to these systems. After simulation, I am getting extremely high heating unmet hours for the dummy zones, plus the zones served by the above systems do not seem to receive outside air at the appropriate temperature. I am wondering if some inputs in my model are incorrect. If possible, can anyone please indicate how this design strategy should be modeled and the resulting issues addressed ?

Thank you,

Manuela