[Equest-users] The old "too much roof" dilimena

Keith Swartz KSwartz at seventhwave.org
Tue Oct 27 13:37:54 PDT 2015

John,

Another method I have heard of is adjusting the U-value for the roof so that the product U*Area remains constant. The BTU's of heat transferred through the roof is the same. The roof load is not distributed correctly to the rooms below, which might be OK if it's a big open space. This method follows the principle that you aren't modeling the building, you are modeling the energy use of the building. It is usually better to model the building as closely as you can, so I prefer Bruce's method of putting an air wall under the boundary of the roof to make it easier to delete unneeded roof polygons. (An even better solution is to use software that does not have this problem!)

Keith Swartz, PE | Senior Energy Engineer
Seventhwave | Madison.Chicago.Minneapolis
608.210.7123 seventhwave.org