[Equest-users] The old "too much roof" dilimena

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Wed Oct 28 12:00:09 PDT 2015

My typical approach for partially exposed floorplates is to select/assign
one of the system types in wizards that will cause generation of per-space
plenums (as opposed to a full floor plenum), which in turn results in
per-plenum roof surfaces (i.e. 1 per space).  Then (post-wizards) straight
up delete each roof surface section that’s “fully sandwiched.”  This
isn’t *perfect
* and you’ll end up with a series of “fully exposed” and “partially
sandwiched” sections, which in the scheme of a large multistory building is
usually in the ballpark of “good enough” for many simulation contexts.
This approach balances early time savings with later flexibility: you can
always come back and tweak those partially sandwiched sections (delete and
remake as a rectangle of appropriate area) if you feel it’s a big deal
later on, though at that point you lose the pretty appearance in 3D.

… although I very much like Keith’s suggestion and will try to remember
that option for the next go-around =)!

That “U-value adjusted for area” approach could also be combined with any
number of other geometry strategies to save time in “later on”
adjustments.

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*