[Equest-users] Water side economizer

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Sat Nov 7 17:43:36 PST 2015

Hi John,

I haven’t opened/picked apart your model, but some time ago I provided the
following outline to this mailing list for a procedure to consider:

*Hi Nikola, good to hear from you!*

*An approach I like to start with (sometimes this is a rough approximation,
other times it is very accurate & appropriate), is:*

*1.       **Establish an outside temperature at and below which the
waterside economizer is designed to handle the building’s cooling loads (or
largely so)*

*2.       **Create a “free cooling” chiller with an EIR a hair above zero
(something like 0.0000001), attach it to the CHW loop(s) servicing your
coils, alongside the regular chiller(s)*

*3.       **Create a pair of equipment control sequences:  “Free” and
“Normal”*

*a.      **For the “Free” control sequence, assign the “free cooling
chiller” in the first row to handle loads first. You may optionally also
assign the actual chillers and associated capacity ranges for each.*

*b.      **For the “Normal” control sequence, specify your normal chiller
sequence of operations*

*4.       **Then create a Load Management of type OA-TEMP.  *

*a.      **Set the outside air temperature below which free cooling is
active under management sequence 1, and assign the free cooling control
sequence defined in the previous step.*

*b.      **Set management sequence 2 to a maximum OSA temp of 999, and
assign the normal control sequence from the previous step*

*Integrating WSE into eQuest is one of those things I always plan on
spending extra time on – the devil is in the details!  I don’t believe
waterside economizer systems are something you can make a simple rote
procedure around, as actual waterside economizer system
operations/limitations are varied and nuanced.  Consider this a simple
outline to convey the approach concept & get you started.  I would
particularly advise paying close attention to your pumping and heat
rejection energies from this point forward.*

*Hope that helps get you started - Happy new year!*

*~Nick*

I have simulated  a number of different WSE arrangements since posting
that, but still follow the same general outline/strategy.  The sequencing
part in particular is where the meat of the puzzle lies, project to
project.  You should be able (and I advise) to describe for yourself in
writing exactly how the chiller(s) and free cooling operation should
sequence with each other.  Then go and translate that into a meaningful set
of equipment control sequence inputs.  I have found actually entering the
“capacity” of free cooling at the chiller makes complicated sequencing a
bit more manageable as an extra tip, but it may come down to just how your
brain processes the problem what approach is easiest.

Best of luck!

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*