[Equest-users] Miscellaneous and office equipment load

Daniel Knapp danielk at arborus.ca
Thu May 28 06:40:32 PDT 2015

I just wanted to put in my two cents here:

> On May 28, 2015, at 2:14 AM, Sharad Kumar <sharadcapricious at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Fakeha,
>
> As per my understanding office equipment loads are the plug loads within the office ( which can be input) in the interior load tab.
>
> Whereas Miscellaneous loads are the unregulated process loads which can be input on the meter in interior direct loads like parking fan load, kitchen loads, receptacle loads, elevator loads, etc.

I think this is a fair description of the difference between the office equipment loads and the miscellaneous loads. They may be on different schedules in eQUEST, but I’m not sure. Both of these loads will count as process load energy use for LEED and are required to match for the Proposed and Baseline unless you are pursuing some specific energy saving strategy.

> It can be vise-versa one can input miscellaneous load anywhere in the interior load tab or interior direct load on the meter.
>
> The miscellaneous energy end-use account for all these and as per LEED or ASHRAE 90.1 these energy (process load energy use ) has to be 25% of the total energy cost for Baseline Case.

My understanding is that the process load is not required to be 25% of the total energy cost for the Baseline; the LEED reviewers just look for the process loads to be at least 25% of the energy cost and if it is lower, they sometimes ask for a more detailed accounting of the process loads. There are many building types (e.g. elementary/secondary schools) in which process costs will be lower than 25%.

All the best,
Dan