[Equest-users] Heat recovery working too well?

Adam Barker ABarker at pemi.com
Thu May 28 11:22:18 PDT 2015

Has anyone else come across heat recovery giving very good results in their model that are higher than expected. In a heating dominated climate, we have a PSZ system serving 5 zones, with baseboards used to meet heating loads in the slave zones (they've been hard sized to just get the unmet hours in an acceptable range).

I have broken down an analysis of building heating energy by month, from LS-D and SS-D.  Assuming the SS-D account for all 'building' loads (envelope, infiltration, lights, etc), and SS-D is all that, plus the OA load.  For a 50% effective  ERV (and no additional fan heat), I get the following for winter months:

Monthly Heating Energy Used (MBTU)

Envelope Loads (LS-D) no ERV

Envelope and OA energy (SS-D) no ERV

Envelope and OA energy (SS-D) with ERV

Envelope energy as % of total (LS-D/SS-D) no ERV

Reduction of energy in SS-D due to ERV (at 50% eff)

126

222

154

0.5676

0.306

112

196

135

0.5714

0.311

90

157

101

0.5732

0.357

54

82

47

0.6585

0.427

37

52

27

0.7115

0.481

67

112

70

0.5982

0.375

108

187

127

0.5775

0.321

E.g. in January a 50% eff ERV gives a 30% reduction in heating energy, even though the 'building' pre-OA accounts for 55% of the total energy. My gut feeling is that the 55% is not accurate and it is actually lower, but I can't convince myself using the reports.

Fiddling with the heat recovery control schemes doesn't seem to change the heating results by much either, however changing the effectiveness has a big impact to the results. In comparison, improving the wall performance has a relatively small impact.

I should say that this is a preliminary model so no design drawings available, and it a retail space with about 0.18 cfm OA/sqft.

Adam Barker, MBSc, C.E.T., LEED AP BD+C
Energy Project Manager
Provident Energy Management Inc.
T: 416-736-0630 x 1874 | abarker at pemi.com<mailto:abarker at pemi.com>